Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Roger Sterling

"I’ve been living the last twenty years like I’m on shore leave.”


He may not be Mad Men’s leading man, but when it comes to killin’ it, Roger Sterling is definitely guilty of genocide.  Be it surviving successive heart attacks, riding a pair of hot twins bareback, slamming Joan Holloway, or serenading his new trophy wife with a face covered in shoe polish he always keeps his goal in mind: totally fucking killin’ it.  As he says, “Jets are made for dropping bombs on Moscow, not French cuisine.”

The women of Roger Sterling:


And it’s not merely that his joie de tuer lies in a rakish lasciviousness, Roger Sterling is a wordsmith capable of deep thought and emotion.  Consider the moment after his first heart attack when he explains his true feelings to Joan; "Look, I want to tell you something because you're very dear to me and I hope you understand it comes from the bottom of my damaged, damaged heart. You are the finest piece of ass I ever had and I don't care who knows it. I am so glad I got to roam those hillsides."

Yet Sterling is not a man lost in the excessive feminine indulgence of one’s passions and emotions.  Take for example his exchange with Don concerning one of the agency's accounts; Don Draper: "Let me ask you something... what do women want?" Roger Sterling: "Who cares?"


"Remember Don…when God closes a door, he opens a dress."

No comments:

Post a Comment